The Altar area in the atrium requires models of all the articles used at Mass – mini altar, mini chalice and paten, mini tabernacle etc. We got a wonderful set of most of the bits and pieces from Our Father’s House and the altar, tabernacle, sacristy cabinet, and lectern were made by a wonderful man. For a lectionary we have a blue covered Gideon Bible. It’s not ideal but does the job. But one thing we could not acquire in the right size was a mini sacramentary.
After much thought, we decided such a thing could be made. There may be better ways of doing it, but here’s our way, and the results are perfectly acceptable.
Firstly, we consulted google and found this wonderful instructional on how to make a hardcovered book. Of course ours had to contain printed pages, so it had to be adapted a little bit.
The first thing was copying and pasting the words of the Mass and laboriously getting them into a format that would print out in a way that could be turned into a book. If I knew how, I would upload the pdf, but I don’t, so feel free to contact us if you would like it. It will make a Gideon Bible sized sacramentary.
Once this was printed out, we folded it and glued the pages together back-to-back to make double-thickness pages.
There were four pages per sheet. This is the last two pages.
Lightly score along the grid lines to make folding more accurate.
Leave a small margin on the left of each set of 4 pages. Glue pages 1-2 together. The margin from page 5 will slot in between pages 3-4 when you glue those together, creating continuous pages. Continue until all pages are glued, leaving a spare blank page at the end.
It was hard to make them super even, but close enough.
How it looks when opened up. The margin on the inside is mirrored by a margin on the back, between the two previous pages.
What will be in the spine.
Front page. Note little extra bit on the left.
The opposite side to the spine. Not even, but works.
The next task was to get it ready to be attached to the cover.
Some thin fabric with craft glue.
Glue the spine end of the booklet to the fabric, holding it nice and tightly together.
We also glued part of the spare back page to the fabric, to be trimmed once dry, just for extra hold
And then to let it dry…
Finally, the cover.
We acquired this lovely piece of soft leather (suede) from David’s Emporium.
Cut card to size according to the instructions in the link at the top, spread on some craft glue….
… and glue on.
Fold up edges and glue.
And trim to make it fit nicely.
The bookless cover.
Glue the spare back page and the fabric onto the covers – NOT THE SPINE, which must stay glue free.
Leave to dry.
The dried book.
Paste a piece of white paper on the raw inside cover.
Once dry, paint on the cover.
We used this fabric paint.
Note – somehow this page got nicked while drying, so we taped all the edges of the pages just for durability. Didn’t look amazing but wasn’t too bad.